Helping a loved one fulfill their wish to stay living at home can be very rewarding. You are helping your parents maintain the quality of life that they want to have.
- Stairs have slip-proof strip
- Handrail on stairs is secure
- Well-lit area around path leading to door – consider motion sensor lighting
- Path around house is clear of debris, branches and leaves
- No cracks in pavement leading to door or around house
- Peephole in door for seeing visitors before opening door
- Garbage bins have wheels for easy towing to curb
- Home security system installed – perhaps consider one that includes security cameras
- Advertise any home security system that is installed (some people put up the stickers regardless of whether they have the system or not!)
- Appliances in working order
- Keep a list of emergency contact numbers on the fridge
- Are you starting to worry that your parent might turn on an appliance and forget about it? If so, consider a monitoring system that uses sensors for placement on appliances.
- Want to guard against flooding? Consider a smart Wi-Fi enabled water sensor that can detect leaks and flooding around sinks, dishwashers, and washing machines.
- Uncluttered walkways
- No tattered area rugs
- No objects on the floor which shouldn’t be on the floor (e.g. newspapers, magazines, clothing, etc.)
- Grab bars in shower stall or near bathtub
- Grab bar near toilet
- Elevated toilet seat
- Tub seat or tub mat to avoid slips
- Consider a “smart” wifi enabled water sensor that can detect leaks and overflowing around sinks and bathtubs
- Phone is near the bed
- Clear path between bed and bathroom
- Nightlight if needed
- Bedrail in place for those needing help getting up
- Railing secure
- Well lit
- No items left on stairs
- Light switches at top and bottom of stairs
- Is it time to install an emergency alert system? Lifeline and other home monitoring systems now have an added feature for fall detection.
- There is a smoke detector on every floor of the home. Consider upgrading to a smart Wi-Fi connected smoke and carbon monoxide detector.
- Smoke detectors checked twice a year
- All lights in working order
- House is free of rodents and bugs
- System in place for disposal of garbage, recycling and compost
- Doorbell works
- No electrical cords run across walkways, under rugs, or across doorways
- All exterior doors have a deadbolt lock
- First-Aid Kit and Earthquake Kit